Associate Director of Production and Manufacturing
Candlewick Press seeks an Associate Director of Production and Manufacturing to oversee production and purchasing for Candlewick-originated 1- and 4-color frontlist titles, Candlewick versions of Walker-originated titles, Candlewick-originated board books and novelty books, Candlewick-originated 1- and 4-color paperback books, and other title formats as assigned, as well as manage Candlewick Press compliance for safety testing and CPSIA regulations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Generating and tracking schedules, and overseeing production for assigned Candlewick-originated frontlist picture book, fiction, board book, novelty and paperback titles from reproduction of artwork to delivery of bound books.
Working closely with designers and editors in planning and project management.
Reviewing proofs for corrections/approval for assigned titles, and ensuring they are circulated and returned on time to remain on schedule.
Working with vendors to negotiate costs, select materials, and order color scanning/reproduction and printing.
Preparing estimates, print instructions or purchase orders, and shipping information through company database.
Liaising with Walker UK and Australia offices to ensure delivery of books for their co-editions of Candlewick Press titles as applicable.
Receiving and approving advances for assigned titles, and ensuring they are distributed in a timely manner to the appropriate distribution list.
Ensuring invoice instructions for assigned titles are entered into company database immediately upon completion.
Expediently reviewing invoices, resolving any discrepancies and approving for payment.
Liaising with London office, traffic and oversee production of assigned Candlewick frontlist versions of Walker-originated titles.
Communicating with Executive Director and Walker UK on the picture book print packages
Assisting with updating departmental standard operating procedures.
Assisting in training and mentoring employees to provide education on production specifications and procedures.
Attending meetings with vendors to develop and maintain positive working relationships.
Achieving expectations regarding margin performance, improving efficiencies, arranging the most competitive pricing from suppliers, and identifying areas of cost savings.
Overseeing safety and CPSIA compliance for Candlewick, and providing sales team with the necessary forms for their customers
Providing feedback on testing for each new Biblio release, and alert team to any significant updates/changes of importance when the changes go live.
Performing other tasks as needed or assigned.
- A minimum of 8 years experience in 4-color book print production with previous management experience is required. Book and novelty production experience in a children's publishing environment is strongly preferred.
- Solid knowledge of printing processes and binding.
- A keen grasp of the economics of production and publishing with a willingness to support the financial goals of the company while also using creative problem-solving skills to maintain the highest standards of design and production quality with the ability to work collaboratively with design, sales, finance, and other members of Candlewick to meet these goals and quality standards.
- Must be highly motivated, proactive, detail-oriented, and possess excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and efficiently and deal with issues diplomatically.
- Able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with staff and vendors.
- Please note: this position does not involve layout and design.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing "Associate Director of Production and Manufacturing"
back to top