Senior Book Designer
The senior book designer is responsible for the art direction, design and pre-press production of Candlewick Press trade books. This particular position will focus on picture books and novelty and work closely with the creative director, art directors, editors, authors and illustrators in producing high quality children's books.
Art direction/design and prepress production of 7-8 books per list, working closely with editors and illustrators to develop the projects.
Manage all schedules and communication with illustrators, reporting dates and specifics to editorial services and production group.
Plan and pace of the picture books working through sketch dummy stages. Combine typography that marries well with the illustrations to represent the content of the book.
Provide color comps and mock ups of book jackets and interiors for presentation. Present at covers meetings.
Adhere to house style as it relates to color, content, and logo use. Keep co-edition requirements in mind
throughout the design process.
Color critique and approval of proofs for book jackets and interiors. Pay close attention to the reproduction fidelity to original art and its treatment and handling as it is shipped overseas.
Prepare all digital files, understanding and working with various printers specifications and materials. Make the most of affordable production techniques and materials. Ensure that all electronic files meet guidelines and protocols and production schedules.
Possess an understanding of how formats, stock, and printing methods affect the cost and production of the books.
Contribute to the illustrator selection process by active awareness and interest in children's book artists and art styles.
Attend all relevant meetings.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent
- 10 years' children's picture book design experience
- Mac computer - expert skills InDesign with strong knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Thorough understanding of bookmaking
- Understanding and appreciation of typography and typesetting
- Knowledge of color separation and printing methods for both color and black and white processes.
- Time management and excellent organizational skills
- Work well under pressure and independently
- Ability to juggle multiple projects from concept through production
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to email@example.com, referencing "Senior Book Designer"
back to top