Candlewick Press seeks an experienced Staff Accountant to join our talented team. The Staff Accountant will work closely with Finance Team members to perform accounting tasks in a range of areas including: Fixed Assets, Tax, Accounts Receivable, Cash, General Ledger Journal Entries and Account Reconciliations.
Responsibilities will include the following:
General Ledger and Account Reconciliations
- Review overhead expenses and provide detailed analysis on a monthly basis
- Prepare journal entries, accruals and adjustment entries as part of the monthly and year-end close process
- Review third-party distributor monthly statement and prepare journal entries to correctly record costs
- Work closely with Controller to prepare year-end audit schedule items
- Oversee the inventory and cost accounting function by working closely with the Cost Accountant to review work-in-process reconciliations
- Prepare monthly general ledger account reconciliations for balance sheet accounts
- Utilize internal publishing system reporting to identify and track all direct invoicing
- Generate intercompany invoices and post related costs.
- Generate a limited number of end-customer invoices based on invoicing instructions from Sales.
- Review and post third-party distributor and eBook sales automatically interfaced to Accounts Receivable ledger.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date customer files.
- Review AR aging with management and follow up on late payments
- Close A/R at month end and prepare related monthly reconciliations and journal entries
- Apply customer payments made through check and wire transfer
- Research all non-AR payments received at Candlewick.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for parent, sister company and Candlewick staff regarding questions on invoices and payments.
- Prepare weekly bank deposits
- Maintain the Cash Receipts journal and reconcile it to the Cash Reconciliation on a weekly basis.
- Prepare and input journal entries related to cash for all AR and non-AR receipts (e.g. subrights, expense reimbursements, etc).
- Process Fixed Asset Activity and determine which items qualify to be capitalized as fixed assets, retire assets as needed.
- Prepare monthly FA and Depreciation entries and reconciliations.
- Prepare state Sales & Use Tax filings.
- Assist in the preparation and generation of 1099 and 1042 reconciled data and filings.
- Review author advance payment requests to ensure correct tax documentation and work with Contracts department to answer tax questions
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of five years of experience with general ledger journal entry preparation, account reconciliation and analyses.
- Strong computer skills including extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience with multiple accounting systems.
- Extremely organized, attentive to detail, and able to multi-task and prioritize workflow.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related field of study preferred.
- CPA preferred.
This is a full-time, in-house position. A comprehensive benefits package is offered including medical, dental, life and ltd insurance; flex spending, 401k, and voluntary insurance plan participation; generous paid time off and much more! Candlewick Press is a committed equal opportunity employer.
If you wish to be considered for this opportunity, please forward a resume and cover letter, including your salary expectations for this position, in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you are not asked to provide any information about your current or prior salary or wage history. In compliance with the Massachusetts Equal Pay Law, Candlewick Press does not request or seek an applicant's wage or salary history at the application stage or otherwise, except as allowed by law.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to email@example.com, referencing "Staff Accountant"
back to top