Art Department Administrative Assistant
Candlewick Press seeks an enthusiastic Art Department Administrative Assistant to join our talented team. This position provides administrative, digital, and hands-on bookmaking support to the Art Department. Administrative duties include tracking original artwork, note-taking at meetings, coordinating materials between departments, assisting with contract paperwork, and supporting designers with font research, rights and permissions, as well as, design assistance. The Art Department Administrative Assistant (ADAA) will work closely with all art department staff as the duties performed are essential to the overall function of the department.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited, to the following:
- Log, scan, package, and ship original artwork safely and securely.
- Assist with gathering acquisition reports and other information necessary in preparation for the designer assignment meetings.
- Attend and help prepare for weekly Illustrator Search Meetings (ISM) and Covers meetings as well as provide note-taking.
- Attend weekly manuscript status meetings and assist with contractual paperwork.
- Solicit info from designers about schedules, artwork scanning and shipping needs at weekly dept. meeting.
- Inform department regarding foreign rights requests, bookfair needs and Sales Conference deadlines.
- Assist designers with InDesign tasks such as placing text and images, inputting text corrections, setting up templates, pdf creation, as well as designing front and back matter.
- Provide basic photoshop color correction, cloning and retouching of scanned artwork.
- Assist designers with research, including stock images, fonts, comp titles, and specific illustration needs.
- Coordinate and ship reprints, advance books and materials to illustrators.
- Assist with the coordination of entries to art/design competitions and award shows.
- Assist with intern supervision and maintain the art department assistant and intern handbooks.
- Assist with organization and ordering of supplies for the art studio.
- Provide other tasks as needed.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in MAC OS environment: Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Adept at trimming, tiling, cutting, and assembling clean and neat printed book materials.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to prioritize and take initiative.
- Possess a positive, team-player approach.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for book design, typography and children's book illustration a plus.
- Bachelor of Arts degree, design degree or equivalent preferred, but not required.
While we are currently working primarily remotely due to COVID, this will eventually be an in-house position based in our Somerville, MA office. A comprehensive benefits package is offered including medical, dental, life and ltd insurance; flex spending and 401k plans, voluntary benefits, generous paid time off and much more! If you wish to be considered for this opportunity, please forward a resume and cover letter, including your salary expectations for this position, in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you are not asked to provide any information about your current or prior salary or wage history. In compliance with the Massachusetts Equal Pay Law, Candlewick Press does not request or seek an applicant's wage or salary history at the application stage or otherwise, except as allowed by law.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to email@example.com, referencing "Art Department Administrative Assistant"
back to top