Associate Book Designer
Candlewick Press seeks an Associate Book Designer to join our talented team. As a member of the in-house design team, the associate book designer is responsible for the design support and production of children's trade books, across all genres. They will work closely and collaboratively with creative directors, art directors, editors, production controllers and artists to produce high-quality children's books following Candlewick's aesthetic style and design standards.
- Assist with conceptualizing and executing the design of book interiors, jackets and covers across all genres (including but not limited to, bilingual or foreign editions; or imprint titles)
- Follow Candlewick's aesthetic, design standards and house styles
- Provide color mock ups of book jackets for presentation at weekly covers meetings
- Adhere to established schedules from concept, through associated sales materials (such as bound galleys) to final files for production, and digital archiving
- Approve color proofs of book jackets and interiors with attention to the reproduction quality of the original art. Attend press checks when necessary
- Attend all relevant meetings related to the design and production of assigned projects
- Provide other tasks as needed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficient Mac Operating System user. - Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Advanced knowledge of InDesign text design tools and typography for complex in-house page composition
- Deadline oriented, ability to multitask, problem-solve, and work under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Advanced knowledge of book production processes, including 4- color and black and white printing, from conception to publication.
- Knowledge of typography and typesetting and art direction skills
- Ability to work collaboratively, problem solve, and receive constructive criticism
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Comprehensive design portfolio is required
- Knowledge of and appreciation for book design, typography and children's book illustration.
- Possess a positive, team player attitude
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in book design
- Bachelor of Arts degree, design degree or equivalent preferred but not required.
While we are mainly working remotely due to COVID, this full-time role will eventually be based in our Somerville, MA office. If you wish to be considered for this opportunity, please forward your design portfolio along with your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to email@example.com, referencing "Associate Book Designer"
back to top