Senior Book Designer
Candlewick Press is looking for a Senior Designer with a passion for book design to join our talented team. Partnering with the Executive Art Director and Candlewick's design team, this position will focus on STEAM related titles, including non-fiction, interior and cover design for children's books of all ages. This is a creative position that requires a solid understanding of book making. The senior book designer works closely with creative directors, art directors, editors, production controllers and artists to produce high-quality children's books following Candlewick's aesthetic style and design standards.
- Conceptualize and execute the design of book interiors, jackets and covers across all-genre (including bilingual and foreign editions under the supervision of the Executive Art Director (EAD) or AD.
- Follow Candlewick's and MIT Kids aesthetic, design standards and house styles.
- Contribute to the illustrator and photography selection process through active awareness and interest in photographers, artists, as well as contemporary book design
- Work closely with art directors, illustrators, editors and production controllers throughout the bookmaking process from development to printed books.
- Manage all schedules and communication/art direction with illustrators.
- Collaborate with the graphic production dept. and the production dept to identify potential art reproduction issues and discuss book formats regarding what size, shape, material best suits each project, budget, and the market.
- Read and report on preliminary manuscript acquisitions when requested.
- Maintaining a current sense of design trends and familiarity with target audiences to understand consumer needs and preferences.
- Mentor junior design staff when applicable.
- Expert MacOS user. Expert in Adobe Creative Suite
- Complete mastery of InDesign text design tools and typography for complex in-house page composition.
- Deadline oriented, ability to multitask and work under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Expert knowledge of typography and typesetting, book production processes from conception to publication.
- Proficient art direction skills.
- Solid problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively and accept constructive criticism.
- Proficient knowledge of four-color and black & white printing processes
- Comprehensive design portfolio is required
- Book publishing or related experience is required.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for book design, typography and children's book illustration.
- A positive, team player attitude.
- Bachelor of Arts degree, design degree or equivalent preferred but not required.
This is full-time position. While we are mainly working remotely due to COVID, this role can eventually be based in our MA or NY office.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter (noting salary requirements when applying for a full-time position) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing "Senior Book Designer"
back to top