Candlewick Press seeks an experienced Controller responsible for the company's accounting/finance operations, which includes: ensuring a comprehensive set of controls is in place to mitigate risk and maintain the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, overseeing compliance with state and federal tax, and other regulatory requirements, producing financial reporting, and developing budgets and forecasts. This is a senior management-level position reporting to the CFO, with direct management responsibility over a team of five. This position also works closely with finance teams from our UK parent company and Australian sister-company, as well as with external auditors.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Direct the development, staffing, and training of the accounting department to maximize individual contribution towards company goals while creating a positive and supportive work environment.
- Identify areas for workflow process improvement, particularly in an increasingly remote-working environment.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions including a documented system of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintain, analyze, and summarize all general ledger accounts
- Oversee standard costing function and review intercompany transactions.
- Reconcile and record third-party payroll reports.
- Review the appropriateness of key reserves and the analysis supporting them.
- Prepare or supervise timely preparation of regular financial statements and operating performance reports, meeting monthly close calendar deadlines in coordination with UK parent company.
- Supervise preparation of year-end documentation and manage year-end audit with external auditors and in coordination with UK parent company.
- Supervise Accounts Payable to ensure payables are paid in a timely manner with all internal approvals and tax documentation in place.
- Supervise Accounts Receivable, which is mainly intercompany transactions, to ensure revenue is appropriately recorded and customer receivables are collected promptly.
- Analyze and project short and long-term cash requirements, coordinating with CFO and parent company to determine borrowing levels for projected operating cash needs.
- Assist in the preparation and review of all federal and state income tax filings prepared by outside tax consultants. Proactively understand triggers for state tax nexus.
- Manage and review the preparation of state Sales and Use tax returns, in coordination with outside tax consultants.
- Oversee a system of close review of staff corporate credit card and expense report claims to ensure compliance with IRS rules.
- Keep current with regulations, tax and accounting issues and ensure company compliance.
- Supervise preparation of 1099 and 1042 Forms at each year-end in compliance with IRS regulations.
- Manage the preparation of year-end tax provision entries.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Work closely with CFO to develop detailed annual P&L and Balance Sheet budgets and regular forecast updates using excel models.
- Work on special forecasting projects as needed.
Systems and Data
- In coordination with the CFO, lead process improvement initiatives through understanding of the company's financial information systems and itss interaction with other key company information systems.
- Enable/improve further online workflows for remote employees (credit card statements, expense reports, invoice approval, etc.).
Skills and Qualifications:
- BA/BS in Accounting; CPA required.
- A minimum of six years accounting experience in a management role, preferably in the publishing industry.
- Proven ability to work across an organization to support efficient operations while maintaining an excellent control environment to ensure compliance with GAAP as well as tax and regulatory requirements.
- Strong leadership skills, excellent written and oral communication skills.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com, referencing "Controller"
back to top