Art Coordination Manager
Candlewick Press, seeks an Art Coordination Manager to join our talented team. Reporting to the Executive Art Director, this position coordinates and contracts illustration talent to pair with existing texts: from illustrator searches to negotiating preliminary contract points, facilitating foreign rights materials and assorted art department support. Responsible for the initiation, implementation, and ongoing communication, of the following:
- Illustrator search process to facilitate the placement of picture book texts with artist of choice, to negotiate, contract, and schedule those titles
- Maintain reports to track status of manuscripts requiring, or in process of illustrator searches, generating weekly, monthly and annual reports.
- Point person for foreign rights Facilitate title materials between senior staff and Foreign Rights relaying information to corresponding designers.
The Art Coordination Manager will work closely and maintain communication with all art and editorial department staff, outside illustrators and illustration agents, the foreign rights team and assist with general support to the art department.
- Negotiating illustrator schedules and contracts in consultation with Executive Creative Director and Executive Art Director, drafting related paperwork
- Conducting weekly manuscript status meetings, relaying various reports on contracted illustrators
- Notifying designers of new assignments, providing illustrator schedules and contract information as appropriate
ILLUSTRATOR SEARCH COORDINATION:
- Organizing and facilitating Illustrator Search Meetings (ISM) and the ongoing search for illustrators
- Developing and maintaining relationships with illustrators and agents, updating contact data for illustrators in the company database.
- Keeping abreast of the illustration scene in the US and UK and hosting meetings with new illustrator materials for editorial and art depts.
- Representing Candlewick at art school shows and portfolio reviews, gallery events, and book shows. Leading outreach to a wide range of school communities to find illustration talent, promote Candlewick, and the field of publishing in general.
- Working with Team Leaders to provide appropriate reference to genres including black & white, graphic novels, YA cover illustrators. Maintain files of illustrator samples and process associated submissions.
FOREIGN RIGHTS FACILITATION:
- Being the Design department point person for Foreign Rights.
- Facilitate title materials between Candlewick senior staff and Foreign Rights team, distributing related information/scheduling to designers.
- Managing Candlewick submissions to Foreign Rights fair awards
- Managing art/design and competition submissions
- Maintaining Candlewick office gallery.
- Working with the Administration Assistant to handle any original artwork framing and giclee print production
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Negotiation experience is necessary
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working with, and/or contracting, illustrators.
- An administrative background with interest in the arts.
- Proficiency with Macintosh software including Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Indesign
- Excellent written and verbalcommunication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize and take initiative.
- Ability to agreeably juggle multiple projects with numerous people.
- An understanding of bookmaking, the printing process, and an appreciation of illustration is strongly preferred.
This is a full-time position based in our Somerville, MA office. Hybrid work arrangements are available for eligible roles.
To Apply: submit a resume and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing "Art Coordination Manager"
back to top