Senior Production Controller
Candlewick Press, a leading publisher of books for children, located in Somerville, MA, seeks an experienced production professional to join our team. This role will oversee production for Candlewick-originated 4-color frontlist titles, board books, and paperback picture books, buy-in package titles, proprietary titles, frontlist fiction titles, and other title formats as assigned.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Generating and tracking schedules, and overseeing production for assigned Candlewick-originated picture book, fiction, board book, paperback frontlist titles from reproduction of artwork to delivery of bound books.
- Liaising with London office, trafficking and overseeing production of Candlewick frontlist versions of Walker-originated titles, as assigned.
- Liaising with foreign and domestic publishers to transmit Candlewick changes and tracking schedules for frontlist buy-in titles.
- Liaising with select imprint partners to plan, traffic proofs and oversee production of frontlist picture book titles.
- Working closely with designers and editors in planning and project management.
- Weekly reporting of schedules at production meetings.
- Reviewing proofs for corrections/approval for assigned titles, and ensuring they are circulated and returned on time to remain on schedule.
- Working with vendors to negotiate costs, selecting materials, and order color scanning/reproduction and printing.
- Preparing estimates, print instructions or purchase orders, and shipping information through company database.
- Liaising with Walker UK and Australia offices to ensure delivery of books for their co-editions of Candlewick Press titles as applicable.
- Receiving and approving advances for assigned titles, and ensuring they are distributed in a timely manner to the appropriate distribution list.
Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years’ experience in 4-color book print production required, children’s publishing preferred.
- Solid knowledge of printing processes and binding.
- Must be highly motivated, proactive, detail-oriented, and possess excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
This is a full-time position based in our Somerville office with eventual eligibility for hybrid work. If you wish to be considered for this opportunity, please forward a resume and cover letter to email@example.com